Vjandep Pastel of Camiguin
Saturday, 14 March 2009

Vjandep Pastel of Camiguin

Last week, Marc and I joined fellow travel bloggers on a weekend trip to Cagayan De Oro. So nope, we didn’t go to Camiguin, but we just couldn’t resist but bring home three dozens of these yummy custard-filled buns—straight from a Vjandep branch in Cagayan de Oro.

Vjandep is the popular brand name of this delicious pastry. I don’t know if they’re the ones who invented it, but they certainly are the most popular. I have no idea how the Pastel came about, but what I do know it’s a small bun (similar to the usual dinner buns you get at steak restaurants), with a sweet custard filling. It’s best eaten at room temperature, the custard loses its creaminess a bit when refrigerated—best “thaw” it out first before eating if you had it stored in the fridge.

Pastel is also available here in Metro Manila, mostly in leading supermarkets and groceries. However, the price difference is incredible—I saw a half-dozen box selling for Php98 here. From Vjandep’s branch in Cagayan de Oro (which is near Camiguin where Vjandep Pastel originally came from), it’s less than Php60. A box of a dozen Pastel buns is only about Php115 there.

The price of Pastel here sucks, but hey, at least I’ll get to satisfy a Pastel craving when it arises—you just wait when our stock here runs out :P

Visit my Flickr Yummy Food set for more photos!

Tags: , , ,

22 Responses to “Vjandep Pastel of Camiguin”

1. we love these sweet treats

2. Kotoko22 says:

What kind of shortening do pastel of camiguin use?! Was is vegetable or lard.. Reply asap please.. Thanks in advance..

3. Antonetti says:

What kind of shortening do pastel of camiguin use?! Was is vegetable or lard.. Reply asap please.. Thanks in advance…..

4. Jun says:

Hi,

Good news! you can now buy pastel at buendia cor taft ave on a per pc or box. Proceed to LRT Buendia(Gil Puyat) station. It’s located just beside atrium hotel.

Hurry!

5. marjorie cagigas says:

can i buy it in cebu and where?thanks!

6. thae alamo says:

i taste the best and original pastel here in middle east, it was made by my friend’s aunt(pinay xa)… it soooo yummy!!!actually, i’ve been there in camiguin once and its seems so different taste,why??? lacking??? hope it will be the same as i go back there in ‘pinas camiguin soon. tnx!

7. Jun says:

may i know what is the name of your friend’s aunt. Is it not the one made by goldbar bakeshop from buendia?

8. melita baustista says:

Mam, ano po ba to, tapat ingatan yo ng mabuti un produkto ninyo. napahiya tuloy ako sa boss ko na ngayon lang talaga siya naka tigim ng pastel, subalit pag bukas namin meron amag. na 4boxes/6pcs. tapat double checks ninyo at saka huwag ninyo sapawan un best before niya. kung ano talaga ang best before un na. tulad nito dinugtungan nu lang.ang nakalagay 4/12/10 pero ano palang ngaun 4/9/10.

• Gail says:

Sorry to hear about what happened to you, Melita Bautista, but you are on the wrong website. This is NOT Vjandep Pastel’s website, but my personal blog. Please read the contents first before commenting. Thank you.

9. [...] or co-workers is by giving them pasalubong, especially if you’ve come back from a long holiday. The Vjandep Pastel of Camiguin has surely become one of the most famous pasalubongs in the country. It’s actually the primary [...]

10. Patrick says:

Hi guys! Do you know where I can buy this Vjandep pastel near Paranaque area or in Makati malls?

11. originalpastel says:

Hi patrick! you can buy original pastel at sm hypermarket sucat. hurry!

12. Gordon says:

Hi I am an Import/Exporter I saw the Original Pastel on TFC here in Canada with my wife. Is it all possible to package this in large volumes and send it to me for marketing. I have a large market here for you. Lets see what we can do;
    Warm regards
    Gordon Brandt
    CEO
    Quantum Success Marketing

13. Call it innocence or ignorance, at first,when I hear the word ‘pastel’,it’s the viand like pastel de lengua,ha ha ha. Anyway,I got a taste of this famous delicacy when one of my officemates brought home this delicious pasalubong. The filling is so heavenly. I think it’s also available in SM Makati’s Supermaket.

14. jordan says:

mam/sir saan po ba pwede mka bili n2 sa manila?ksi actually pinasalubungan lng ako ng friend ko na galing camiguin ng Vjandep Pastel.at nagusthan ko sya.di ko nga lng alam kung saan ako makakabili n2 d2 sa manila,sana may mag reply thanks…=)

• Katol Villagante says:

go to market market sa fiesta market sa harap ng seafood island. me stall dun ng camiguin. meron sila vjandep.

15. supeng says:

wala n b ibang mabi2lan sa manila kc sarado n sa my buedia….

16. ceejay says:

hi
    im planning to become a distributor or reseller of vjandep pastel products. please contact me thru email or facebook. ca_yoy@yahoo.com

or mobile 09326761963

17. john says:

meron bang nakakaalam ng bilihan ng vjandep pastel yema dito malapit sa cavite?????

18. Xtian says:

Hello! Where can i buy Vjandep Pastel Bun? Im from Bulacan? Any nearest outlet here? I tried to look at SM Marilao pasalubong stall but they dont have the pastel, anyone could help me? Thanks!

19. sam says:

Hi ds s sam…sarap ng pastel nyo…ano nga name ng cashier jan sa vjandep camiguin?? May itatanong lang sana ako..i thnk..anak xa ng may ari..